Monday, January 29, 2007

SQL 2005 restoring backups files.....uncompessed?

A simple task I thought, restoring an old SQL 2000 database into my new SQL 2005 server.

I was getting this error;

Create failed for Database 'Compressed_DB'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

The file "D:\Compressed_DB.mdf" is compressed but does not reside in a read-only database or filegroup. The file must be decompressed.

CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check related errors. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 5118)


I was completely stumped with the decompressed part of the message, found the solution though http://blogs.msdn.com/sanchan/archive/2006/06/04/617585.aspx .

- Simple fix is to restore the files back to my C drive which is uncompressed.
- Other fix would be to take compression off the offending d drive.

No comments: